Last Thursday 28th March, there was a breakfast debate at The Clink Restaurant at HMP Brixton about the ‘City of London: Prison and Prisoners’, where Alderman William Russell – due to be Lord Mayor of the City 2019/2020 subject to election – was the guest speaker. It was both an intimate yet very sobering session, one I was privileged to attend.
A recent Justice Data Lab Report says a Clink graduate is a WHOPPING 49.6% less likely to reoffend having been through training.
5 Things to Know:
- Today there are circa. 84,000 prisoners in the UK; 80,000 men and 4,000 women
- 49% of prisoners reoffend within one year of release
- If a sentence is less than 12 months, that figure rises to 66%
- Reoffending costing the UK Taxpayer a total of £15bn a year
- There is a huge skills shortage in UK hospitality